Skincare is hard enough to master from the comfort of your own home, but throw in jet-lag, limited luggage space and new environmental factors, and it can be anyone’s guess. After many years of travel, lots of research and even more trial and error, I’ve amassed a list of go-to skincare products that I never leave home without. And, since we landed in Paris this morning for a couple weeks of work and play here in France, these are precisely the products that are currently bringing my travel-worn skin back to life…
DOUBLE DUTY: DAY AND NIGHT PRODUCTS
1. CLEANSER // When it’s time to wash away the day, I reach for my Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm. This cleanser is a straight up glow-factory. It is so smooth, it smells AMAZING, and (most importantly) it really DEEP cleans your pores after a long day of sun and sweat while traveling. Buy now, thank me later…
2. ESSENCE // What the heck is an essence you ask? Same. Basically, a facial essence helps restore moisture and helps your skin better-absorb other skincare products you layer on top. My skincare-savvy friends have been RAVING about essences for the past couple years and I finally had to give it a shot. In particular, all the buzz seems to be about SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, which not only does the aforementioned moisture-locking and skin-prepping duties, but is also packed with vitamins, amino acids and other straight-up magic. I recently started using this once in the morning and once at night after cleansing and haven’t looked back. The main ingredient of this essence is Pitera, AKA “Miracle Water” AKA “Holy Water” AKA sign me up. *Cue smooth, supple skin and glowing complexion.*
3. FACE OIL // The Elemis Superfood Facial Oil is my hands-down number one product. If you follow me on instagram you know I’ve been raving about this oil for years. I put a few drops on under my makeup in the morning and a few more on under my moisturizer before bed. It has made an enormous difference in my skin’s overall appearance and I simply don’t leave home without it. I know it’s particularly great for dry skin but the craziest part is that I don’t even have dry skin! My main skin complaint is actually a tendency to get oily. Adding oil to an already oily-prone canvas? YES. It’s counter-intuitive, but by adding this oil to my skin, my natural oil-production calms down, I don’t get nearly as shiny, and the overall improvement in my skin appearance is huge. It doesn’t hurt that it also happens to smell like a dream.
4. AM EYE CARE // Jet-lag eye no more! To make those dark circles disappear, I hit up Origins A Perfect World SPF 20 Age-Defense Eye Cream With White Tea. It’s hard to find a great daytime eye cream with SPF, so this is a keeper! It brightens, hydrates, and defends the delicate eye area from all sorts of bad guys. What more can a girl ask for?
P.S. I’ve also used and loved Supergoop! Advanced Anti-Aging Eye Cream Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 37.
5. SUNSCREEN // We all know that sun damage is the real deal but I’ve had a hard time finding the right sunscreen that doesn’t cause that icky, heavy crisco feeling or a major breakout. And, don’t even get me started on sunscreen smells. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 is light, clean, and won’t clog pores. You can use it on your face, and body (I always make sure I’m getting my décolletage!) and thankfully there’s no Casper the ghost effect! After the plethora of recent studies that all conclude with, “No sunscreen= a face full of wrinkles with the potential for Melanoma” I use this stuff EVERY. SINGLE. MORNING.
6. BB CREAM // Q: How to look amazing at the beach without trying too hard with a face full of makeup? A: A hydrating moisturizer with a touch of cover and SPF 21 via Laura Geller’s BB Cream. This stuff gives you that J. Lo fresh-faced beach-ready GLOW. Wah lah!
7. LIP BALM // A long-haul flight with dry, recycled air can do a number on your pucker. Keep First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Lip Therapy (matte finish) or Kopari Coconut Lip Love (glossy finish) with you at all times. Your S/O will thank you!
8. DRY SHAMPOO // Not washing and styling your hair everyday is kind of the point going on vacation, amiright? Make sure you pack some dry shampoo so you only have to clean those tresses every few days. My favorite dry shampoo is the Show Beauty Premiere Dry Shampoo (you can buy it in regular and travel size) and for a dry shampoo that also provides amazing texture and body, the Drybar Triple Sec 3-in-1 is where it’s at.
9. FACE MASK // Airplane air is horrendous on so many levels, but in particular, the super low humidity levels cause intense skin dehydration. As soon as I get to the hotel, I always throw on a quick face mask to restore the balance of moisture in my skin. One of my very favorite masks is the Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle 24k Gold Intense Wrinkle Sheet Mask. I mean, a 24k gold mask that literally un-wrinkles your face? …just take my money already! Also, if you’re heading to a spot with tons of sun, hydrating masks are a necessity throughout the trip and I’d recommend the Karuna Hydrating+ Face Mask and Peter Thomas Roth’s Cucumber Gel Mask (SO soothing). When too much of a good thing gives you crocodile skin, consider these your vacay home facials—sunburn edition! Last but not least, Boscia Luminizing Black Mask is the perfect solution for when your skin needs a general pick-me-up. When impurities from a new environment, travel, and late nights show up on your face, grab this detox black charcoal mask for a serious complexion transformation. Added bonus: you get to pretend like you’re Batgirl for 30 minutes. (Insta-live optional…)
10. PM EYE CARE // Since eyes are the first to show signs of aging and stress, don’t neglect this area while on the road! Every couple days, I do one of the Elemis Pro-Collagen Hydra-Gel Eye Masks. Second, I apply Kate Somerville’s Retinol Firming Eye Cream and finish things off with Shiseido Future Solution LX Eye and Lip Contour Regenerating Cream. Lastly, pour a glass of Prosecco and watch your fine lines disappear…
11. ANTI-AGING SERUM // I love serums because they are über light but incredibly effective. While moisturizers can be thick, serums are made up of tiny molecules that deeply penetrate pores and deliver amazing results. SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E Antioxidant Night Concentrate and the Clarins Age Control Concentrate Serum are the best I’ve found to date. Pat one of these on before you hit the hay, and wake up to radiant skin.
12. NIGHT MOISTURIZER // Traveling or not, the Erno Laszlo Hydra-Therapy Memory Sleep Mask is my go-to night-time moisturizer. It’s packed with moisture-inducing anti-aging goodness and isn’t too heavy. The perfect finale to your evening routine and the best way to lock in all of your other skincare products underneath.
13. SPOT TREATMENT // With picture-perfect landscapes at every turn, you want to look your best but jet-lag and new environmental factors often make vacations a prime time for things to “pop up.” M-61 by Bluemercury PowerSpot Pad will ensure a blemish NEVER ruins a perfect day in paradise!
14. FACE SELF-TANNING // You want to shield your face from the sun but you don’t want to look like a ghost, especially on a sunny vacation. I’ve used Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glow Pads for years and they’re the absolute BEST. No breakouts. No streaks. Super natural color.
15. LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER // Ocean breeze + salt water = perfect beach waves… but proceed with caution! Sun, salt, chlorine, and wind can also wreak havoc on your hair. Brush before you wash and use Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-In Conditioning Spray if you believe in magic. One swipe of the comb and I’m tangle free (a true miracle with thick hair). To keep your hair hydrated and healthy, this is your hero product. (And it’s sulphate and paraben free!)