fashion week Feb 22, 2018

Velvet Dress + Leather Jacket

Mary Orton wears a velvet self portrait dress with a black peplum leather jacket, chloe waist belt, stuart weitzman booties, and victoria beckham top handle box bagFashion Blogger twirls in a self portrait velvet skirt, Stuart Weitzman Cling booties, and Victoria Beckham top handle box bagDRESS: Self Portrait (love this affordable midi skirt version and this beauty as well!) |  JACKET: Rebecca Taylor  (similar HERE)  |  SHOES: Stuart Weitzman (similar HERE)  |  BAG: Victoria Beckham (similar affordable alternative HERE)  |  BELT: Chloe (affordable alternative HERE)  |  EARRINGS: Alexis Bittar

First off, I have to say that I am SO grateful for all of your emails, DMs and comments about yesterday’s skincare post.  I’m thrilled that you found it helpful, and can’t wait to share many more!

I wore this two-tone velvet Self Portrait dress (yes, dress! not skirt!) to the Self Portrait show and since February fashion week can never come without the influx of bizarre weather conditions (it was roughly 35 degrees and pouring rain), I got creative with layering both underneath and on top.  If you check out the dress here, you can see that it’s got a LOT going on, and yet it still looks refined and beautiful.  Self Portrait has that rare ability to basically incorporate everything but the kitchen sink into a design (i.e. pleats, lace, and not one, but TWO different colors of velvet) and then look at the end product and be like, yup, it definitely needs moreLet’s add RUFFLES.  Witchcraft.

NYC fashion blogger Mary Orton wears a blue green velvet midi dress, black peplum leather jacket, top handle box bag, and retro sunglassesSelf Portrait blue and green ruffle velvet midi dress and Chloe waist belt Mary Orton of Memorandum wears velvet midi dress, black peplum jacket, retro sunglasses, black booties, and top handle bag in the rain with an umbrella in NYC Mary Orton wears velvet leather dress, peplum jacket, and black booties in NYC Fashion weekSelf Portrait Midi Dress and Black booties in the rain in NYC

17 Responses to Velvet Dress + Leather Jacket

1. Beautiful dress with great colors in a superb and chic outfit 😉

Very edgy and shabby chic outfit! I love the way you’ve styled it. 🙂

3. Rach says:

That dress is gorgeous! Love the two-one. The additional of the moto jacket gives it an extra edge!

4. Maria says:

I love leather jackets. You beautiful look, I like!❤️

5. Joanna says:

I like how the black leather jacket & black booties add some edge to an otherwise sweet look. You’ve became my style muse.

6. Bec Bruenig says:

I too took inspiration from you and started wearing belts. I have some awesome vintage belts that look current and really add panache to my wardrobe. I am enjoying your site and “insights” so much.

7. Nikki says:

Love this dress!
    It is gorgeous!

8. Great outfit and awesome color combination (leather jacket with velvet ). I love it.

9. The velvet midi dress from Self Portrait is so elegant, I like the tone color.
    Also so smart combined it with leather jacket!

10. Gino says:

The velvet texture and the dark color of the skirt looks outdated but when paid with your leather top, it makes a rocking, steam punk-like outfit and I love it.

11. This is absolutely stunning. You simply nailed it with the styles presented here, I am getting ideas for the outing I have to attend next week.

12. This is absolutely stunning. You simply nailed it with the styles presented here, Looking forward to more ideas from you.

13. things to do says:

Belting your jackets really accentuates your waist. I have a small waist and am going to start adding belts to my look. Thank you for the inspiration. you are very beautiful.