ONE-SHOULDER BLOUSE: Rebecca Minkoff | METALLIC FRINGED SKIRT: Rachel Zoe (also love this metallic midi skirt under $150!) | LEATHER SHOULDER BAG: Valentino | ANKLE STRAP SANDALS: Sam Edelman | ROUND SUNGLASSES: Sunday Somewhere
Sliding into home plate, the grand finale of the Fall/Winter Trend Memo is a shining moment indeed—the resurgence of sparkle and all things metallic this season. Across the board designers such as Chanel, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga and Loewe were looking to the future on their FW17 runways with sparkling other-wordly detailing, shapes and styling. Go ahead and cue your inner shooting star, ’cause today we’re talking about how to add a little (or a lot of) firepower to your wardrobe.
Sparkles, sequins and metallics are in it to win it this season, but also look for other jazzy elements like fringe and feathers. Though tradition tells us to save the glitz for formal occasions, designers and street style stars alike are showing us that this season’s sparkle isn’t just for nighttime—think metallic sneakers, sparkly tops paired with jeans, or even metallic outerwear.
If this Rachel Zoe metallic fringe midi doesn’t wet your whistle for the shine + fringe rage, check your pulse, stat. Can’t contain my burning desire to t-w-i-r-l, so not even gonna try. The silver lining (omg, punz!) of this baby is that you can dress it up for full-on glam or throw on a graphic tee and booties for super chic daytime street style. Carrie Bradshaw would totes do it, and so should you.
This Rebecca Minkoff metallic blouse (which I also snagged for a casual 25% off from Neiman’s killer CUSP sale going on right now!) is also a showstopper in its own right. First off, this crushed metallic fabric would make a potato sack look runway-worthy, but tailored into this one-shoulder beauty with a peek-a-boo tie sleeve? Rebecca, you’re a damn wizard.
If rocking the newest metallic/sparkle trend from head-to-toe isn’t your gig (or you just don’t think your office is the place for an alien-inspired encounter), you can tiptoe into the sparkle game with just a hint of shine. A subtle metallic turtleneck under a classic black suit will give you a perfectly polite amount of glimmer without having to dim the lights in the cubicle next door. Outside of the office, try on these mirror-heeled boots, or throw on a sparkling belt, earrings, or shoes to add a touch of sparkle without going full throttle.
WEAR TO WORK
Disclaimer: If you work in a particularly formal environment (lawyers, bankers, accountants, I’m looking at you!) I’d recommend focusing this trend on your out-of-office wardrobe. If you work in a creative or casual environment, check out some of these ideas!
- Incorporating a bit of sparkle into your work wardrobe is not nearly as daunting as it sounds! The pin-thin metallic stripes of this super affordable turtleneck provide the perfect touch of shimmer.
- Expecting a sell out of this absolute favorite Reiss pleated midi which would look amazing with a classic white button-down in a creative workplace. Currently have two sizes in my shopping cart (one of them has to fit and I’m not taking any chances!)…
- If you’re looking to up the glam factor in your work wardrobe, look no further than this shimmering peach blazer (under $100!) and the coordinating trouser (under $50!!). Maybe not for an accountant or government employee, but in the creative industries? Killer.
- Sparkling footwear is the perfect way to subtly rock this trend at work, and I’m completely obsessed with these metallic leather ankle-strap pumps (which are currently on major SALE with code FALLEVENT!). Also check out these pointed toe beauties!
- If you’re more of a dress kind of gal, you can’t go wrong with this knee-length classic black sheath.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- STOP WHAT YOU’RE DOING and check out these pointed-toe metallic boots (they’re under $150!). The sock boot silhouette is stunning, and I’m also into all four colors.
- I’m loving this glam spin on a classic trench. The rich texture, double-breasted design and tied, raglan sleeves take this baby to the next level.
- This black shimmer pullover looks like something I’ll be living in until next spring…
- Next stop: Full-on sequined midi skirt. I’m obsessed with how they styled it on the Net-A-Porter wesbite, paired with a slouchy, preppy sweater to dress down the sequins and amp up the cool factor x 100.
- These embroidered flat loafers are just so dang FUN.
- Why wait for the holidays to sport this one-shoulder sequined blouse when you could wear it next Saturday night? DEAD.
MY FAVORITE METALLIC PICKS OF THE SEASON