With winter around the corner, it’s time to prep your arsenal of outerwear for plunging temps. We’re less than a week away from November (HOW?!), and unfortunately, I know from experience that denial does not keep you warm. Today, I’m rounding up the four coats every girl needs for the chilly days ahead.
But before we jump into my list, I want to make special note of Nordstrom’s dedicated collection of outerwear that’s all under $200 which you can peruse here. If you’re looking to update your coat collection with some amazing, affordable beauties, that’s your spot.
Without further ado, I give you the four staple coats everyone needs in their closet for fall and winter…
#1 // Puffer Coat
For those brutally frigid days, you gotta go for the puffer coat (a.k.a. wearable sleeping bag) and luckily, these beauties are majorly on trend this season. Uber insulated and super lightweight, nothing holds in warmth like these down-filled, quilted puffers.
- I’m obsessing over this longline quilted puffer coat with faux-fur trim that I found at Nordstrom (and it’s under $150!). Not only does it come in three gorgeous colors, it’s also water-repellent! If you’re in the market for a shorter option under $150, check out this quilted puffer from Topshop (it also comes in black!).
- For all my Canada Goose fans, check out this power-fill down jacket, which promises to keep you warm even in the coldest temps. The drawcord waist cinches in perfectly, and the water-resistant outer layer keeps you dry in rain, sleet or snow.
- In the $250 and under price range, it doesn’t get better than this belted Ralph Lauren down coat. The longline silhouette and drawcord hood will keep you cozy and the tie belt keeps you from (fully) resembling a marshmallow. Added bonus: you’ll stand out from a sea of black in this perfect burgundy hue!
- If you’re looking to venture into new textures, check out this black velour beaut!
#2 // Classic Wool Coat
A no-brainer, but gotta mention it: everyone needs a classic wool coat. Timeless, elegant and versatile, this quintessential winter wardrobe staple is as perfect for layering atop your work-week suit as it is paired with casual weekend denim. Nothing pulls together an outfit like a timeless tailored coat—it’s the perfect finishing touch (and nobody needs to know if you’re wearing a suit or your pajama top underneath).
- In FULL. SWOON. over this military-inspired fit-and-flare coat from Ralph Lauren (and it’s under $250!).
- For the quintessential classic coat, look no further than this double-breasted black beauty from Mackage. I’m loving the wide-wing collar and the belted fit-and-flare silhouette.
- In love with this timeless navy two-button reefer coat!
- You’d never believe this double-breasted wool-blend coat is under $150. The ladylike style provides a knockout hourglass shape, and it’s just as beautiful in white and pink as it is in black.
- Currently dying over this menswear-inspired wool and cashmere coat from Theory, which comes in THREE colors! Cashmere-infused wool? Just take my money already.
#3 // Moto Jacket
Trading classic for cool, the moto is the go-to jacket to throw on for less formal occasions—whether you’re headed out to drinks or running errands on the weekend. There’s not much I love more than a classic black moto, but if you read this post, you already know I’m reaallyyyy digging the updated colors and finishes that are stealing the stage this season.
- “Ultimate Leather Jacket” is the name of this classic moto, and I couldn’t agree more… It’s well-worth the investment. Also check out this under-$100 classic black beauty!
- Step up your moto game with this suede jacket.
- If you’re all in on the metallic trend this season, go full-glam with a metallic moto (it’s under $200!).
- I’m loving the rich burgundy color of this faux-leather jacket. The price point isn’t bad either!
- Last but certainly not least, this floral black leather jacket from Topshop proves you can be tough and feminine.
#4 // Statement Coat
You know those days when you’re running around and end up spending more time in your coat than just wearing your actual clothing underneath? (I’m looking at you, New Yorkers!) Those are the days for the statement coat, a.k.a. your outerwear outfit. Pile on the dark/neutral cozy layers underneath and let your outerwear do the talking. A statement coat like the floral beauty I’m wearing today instantly dresses up an otherwise basic outfit.
- This Boss houndstooth coat? DEAD!
- Make a statement with plaid (the print of the season!) but good luck deciding between this J. Crew plaid bomber (under $200) and this longline plaid coat (under $150).
- This gorgeous wool-blend coat is as classic as it is cool.
- Make a fun statement with this playful polka dot wool blend coat from Kate Spade.
- I’m OBSESSING over this killer leopard print coat (and it’s under $200!).
Thanks to Nordstrom and ShopStyle for partnering on this post!