TURTLENECK STRIPED SWEATER: Maggie Marilyn (affordable alternative HERE!) | STIRRUP SKI PANTS: 3.1 Phillip Lim (almost identical version under $50 HERE!) | SLIDE PUMP: Louise et Cie | LEATHER SHOULDER BAG: Nico Giani | CAT EYE SUNGLASSES: BP. (sold out, similar HERE and HERE) | DISC EARRINGS: Madewell (sold out in silver, similar HERE)
Moving right along to Day 7 of our Fall/Winter Trend Memo, today’s spotlight is on cozy knits, stirrup pants and all things aprés ski. No doubt designers drew heavy inspiration from the slopes this season (as evidenced by Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Loewe, and Sonia Rykiel), but you certainly don’t have to be on holiday in Aspen to jump in the game. Aprés ski style has officially exited the lodge and headed to the streets, so read on for tips on taking this trend from desk to drinks, and don’t forget to check out my favorite picks at the bottom of this post!
If you haven’t gotten the memo, consider this fair warning: stirrup pants are back and bigger than ever and I am all in on the trend. Honestly, if I could get any fonder of these Phillip Lim stirrup pants it would be detrimental to my health (pleats, pinstripes, AND stirrups?! Just stop it.). Of course, the stirrup pant is inspired by sportswear originally developed for skiing (and horseback riding) and has now been resurrected from the 80s versions (which were resurrected from the 60s, which were resurrected from the 20s…), but whether you’re hitting the slopes, sipping hot toddies by the fire, or just getting ready for Tuesday morning at the office, it’s safe to say that stirrups are a solid investment this season. Be sure to strap ’em outside of your heels to give these stunners the attention they deserve.
FYI, I found these stirrups which are super similar to the ones I’m wearing today for under $50!
Ski-inspired knits crafted in bold colors and patterns will also be big hitters this season, but also keep an eye out for more refined and updated aprés ski styles that may whisper, not shout. As seen in today’s look, aprés ski style is a perfect complement to another craze of the season, luxe leisure (see Day 2 of this series if you missed it!). The varsity-inspired turtleneck (shout out to Day 3, Statement Red!) I’m wearing today is equal parts comfy, cool and of-the-moment. The placement of the white stripes is killer, but the asymmetrical ruffle? I’m dead.
My denial aside, cooling temps are indicating that winter IS in fact coming [insert Jon Snow joke here] and judging by the fact that ski-inspired knits, stirrup pants, and coats made all sorts of cameos on the FW17 runways, I’m wondering if this one’s going to be a bit colder than usual…
WEAR TO WORK
- Incorporating ski-inspired dressing into your work wardrobe is 1000% easier than it sounds. Pair a classic ivory knit turtleneck with these amazing plaid stirrup pants and you’re ready for Monday morning at the office.
- This perfect turtleneck sweater dress is just the kind of thing I live in all winter—in or out of the office. I’m also dying over this one.
- Love the side stripe on these Helmut Lang stirrups which are currently on killer sale.
- How pretty is this ruffle turtleneck that comes in plum, black and grey?!
- The classic cut and double-breasted detailing of this faux-fur trimmed quilted jacket make it the perfect wear-everywhere coat that can be dressed up with workwear or dressed down with jeans on the weekends.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- How gorgeous and COMFY does this beautiful hand-knit mosaic cardigan look?! FULL. SWOON.
- You may remember me wearing a dress almost identical to this one last year during my Fall 30 Dresses series. I remember it sold out in about two seconds, so hop-to!
- Love this striped sweater! Spoiler alert: It’s under $70!
- Whether you’re hitting the slopes or just prepping for snowy days, this down coat will be your BFF. Look at that lining! SO cozy!
- This cut-out burgundy sweater is absolutely perfect for a night out (and it’s under $40…)!
MY FAVORITE APRES-SKI PIECES OF THE SEASON