Before jumping into today’s post, I wanted to mention that tomorrow is the start of the Fall/Winter 2017 30 Dresses in 30 Days series right here on Memorandum!! Get exciteddddd!
After last week’s post detailing the 4 Winter Coats Every Girl Should Own, I’ve had tons of requests for more winter staples, so today I thought I’d cover the quintessential cold-weather tops, from staple turtlenecks to cashmere sweaters to silk blouses and everything in-between. Stay tuned for essential winter pants, dresses, shoes and accessories in the near future. Building a capsule winter wardrobe seems like a daunting task, but taking it category-by-category makes it a little more digestible. Read on for the five staple tops (mostly sweaters, of course!) that every girl should have in her closet this fall and winter…
#1 // Chunky Knit Turtleneck
Nothing pulls together a cozy winter look more seamlessly than a trusty textured turtleneck (i.e. your winter cocoon). Throw a chunky cable-knit sweater atop your favorite denim and over-the-knee boots for an easy, comfy look (that you’ll never want to take off), or up the ante with a pleated midi skirt and leather booties!
- OBSESSED with this under $150 Banana Republic x Olivia Palermo cable-knit turtleneck. Check out the gorgeous lace accents!
- This may be the most perfect cable-knit turtleneck sweater I’ve found this season, in my favorite color to boot…
- I just bought this dreamy sweater in two colors, and am trying to rationalize purchasing the other two as well… #sendhelp
#2 // Cashmere Sweater
When the temperatures get truly arctic, nothing keeps the warmth in and the cold out quite like cashmere. Every girl should have a quality cashmere sweater in her closet for work and/or play, not only because of the warmth factor but also because these suckers really stand the test of time.
- Can’t get ENOUGH of this adorable grey and black polka dot cashmere sweater. The price tag isn’t bad either…
- This classic cashmere turtleneck from Everlane comes in *SIX* killer colors (and it’s under $200!).
- SWOONING over this elegant and polished cashmere tie-sleeve sweater. Is it just me, or is J. Crew killing it lately?!
- You heard me wax on about this line of cashmere sweaters in this recent post, and it bears repeating here. So many great colors and styles at very reasonable price points (for cashmere!).
#3 // Long Sleeve Silk Blouse
A classic silk blouse is an investment piece that’s worth every penny. One of the most versatile pieces in your wardrobe, a silk blouse is just as perfect with a workweek suit or skirt and blazer as it is dressed down with denim and a classic wool coat on the weekend.
- I own several silk blouses from Equipment like this essential silk blouse and they are the absolute BEST. They don’t go out of style, and you’ll wear them like crazy for years.
- If you’re looking for added interest, check out this gorgeous ruffled tie-neck silk blouse.
- I just bought this v-neck silk beauty and am obsessed with the draped wrap detail.
#4 // Layering Turtleneck
For colder months, a layering turtleneck is as essential as a toothbrush—it’s downright bad manners not to have one. A classic cut in a breathable, lightweight fabric provides just the right amount of insulation without being too bulky layered underneath a blazer or sheath dress.
- Love this classic black turtleneck (and it’s under $100!).
- If you’re looking for a layering piece that will literally last forever, look no further than this Wolford classic.
- Take an otherwise basic look up a notch with a touch of shimmer!
#5 // Classic Long-Sleeve T-Shirt
Nothing can take you from a Netflix binge sesh to Whole Foods to drinks with friends faster than a classic long-sleeve tee. This is the piece you’ll wear most often, so pick a soft, cozy fabric that you wouldn’t mind living in all season.
- This Madewell striped beauty really is the quintessential long-sleeve tee.
- I’ve been obsessed with Vince’s long-sleeve t-shirts for years because they really stand the test of time (i.e. not stretched out and faded after the first wash or two). This suuuper soft crewneck tee comes in black, white and grey (and it’s under $100!).
- For all my babes on a budget, check out this $30 classic crewneck from J. Crew. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a better intersection of price and quality.