For day three of the Fall/Winter Trend Memo series, it’s all about the color that’s already been dubbed the breakout star of the season—RED. Today we’re diving into why this vibrant hue is one of the biggest trends for fall and winter, how you can wear it to work and play, and where to shop all things radiant red.
But first! As you’re shopping for your fall wardrobe, I want to quickly mention that Shopbop just started their Event of the Season Sale which is preeeetty epic. With code EOTS17, you’ll receive 20% off orders under $500, or 25% off orders of $500 or more. It’s only running through Friday so go get ’em, tiger.
As you can probably already tell from Day 1 and Day 2 of the Trend Memo series, this season is not for wallflowers. However, if you’re not quite ready for a full head-to-toe red ensemble, rest assured, the trend can easily be incorporated into your wardrobe with just a simple accessory or even a classic red lip. There’s virtually no way to mess up. From monochromatic pairings to cherry power suits to bold gowns or vibrant statement accessories, the statement red trend is in it to win it.
I wore this embroidered red Sachin & Babi gown to my friend’s wedding in France this summer and aside from my own wedding, it’s easily one of my favorite dresses that I’ve ever worn. I’ve been meaning to share it here on the blog since our trip, and knew it would be perfect to showcase the biggest color trend of the fall season, as well as give a virtual fistbump to a trend we discussed last spring that’s still going strong: all things embroidered!
As a quick aside, you’ll see in the background of many of these photos the stunning Chateau de Bourron where Rich and I stayed during the wedding weekend in France. As the photos suggest, it is a magnificent 17th century chateau (complete with a moat) that’s now been converted into a luxury bed and breakfast. If you are ever looking for a wonderful weekend trip from Paris, I can’t recommend Chateau de Bourron highly enough. It’s just a few minutes away from Fontainebleau which has all the charm and history of Versailles but a fraction of the crowds!
There’s nothing more fun than a bold red for a night out or a fancy formal occasion (especially upcoming holiday parties!), but you can also plan on seeing me sporting red shoes, red bags, red lips and even bright red power suits this fall. Below, you can read up on how to incorporate the red trend into your work wardrobe, your out-of-office wardrobe, and everywhere in between. Moral of the story: red is the new black so get on board!
WEAR TO WORK
- If this classic J. Crew tie-neck dress (which also comes in navy) isn’t the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen then I don’t know what is. It’s on sale, under $200 and sizing comes in petite, tall and regular sizing. Sooooo yeah, I’m buying it.
- I get it, head-to-toe red can be tough to pull off in some workplaces so you can start with a classic pair of red bottoms like these classic Max Mara pants (and/or the matching suit jacket) which can be paired beautifully with a classic white blouse. If you’re just starting out and looking for an affordable option, check out this Vince Camuto pair for only $54! I’m also eyeing these Derek Lam pants with tuxedo piping detail…
- Block heels are kind of a big deal these days, and these pumps add the perfect pop of color to any fall or winter look.
- This stunning red blouse would look amazing with a classic black pencil skirt for a perfect everyday office look. Also check out this tie-neck top!
- If you’re looking for classy wear-to-work dresses that never go out of style, look no further than this Black Halo sheath.
- Dying over this longline double-breasted blazer (that’s under $100!). Wear it with jeans, dress pants or even layered over a sheath dress.
- In case you’re looking to rock a full bright red power suit, check out this blazer and the coordinating pants. You know they’re in my shopping cart.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- I would be remiss if I didn’t touch upon on the sock bootie trend which streetstyle stars are rocking in vibrant red hues left, right and center. I’m obsessed with this Stuart Weitzman pair, and also love affordable options here (patent is HUGE this season) and here.
- Hello, let me introduce you to the sweater that I will be living in all fall and winter.
- This sucker is perfect for fall weddings and will be hitting the holiday party circuit HARD.
- I’m in love with this mock choker blouse, which comes in four other perfect colors.
- If you’re in the market for a new going out dress, check out this one-shoulder number! I’m DEAD.
- Absolutely love love LOVE this sleek red cross-body bag that’s very reasonably priced for such a high-quality, luxury brand.