CORDUROY BLAZER: Veronica Beard (love this affordable option here!) | SHORT SLEEVE T-SHIRT: J Brand | CHECKED MINI SKIRT: Maje (also similar HERE and HERE) | LEOPARD PRINT PUMPS: Sam Edelman (sold out, similar HERE)
Day 5 of the Fall/Winter Trend Memo is another undeniable superstar as well as a beloved throwback: CORDUROY! Allow me to re-introduce you to this old friend whose versatility will take you from workweek to weekend and then some. Don’t forget to check out my favorite corduroy picks of the season at the bottom of this post!
Yesterday we talked check prints, and given their ubiquity this season, it’s no surprise that a little check action snuck into today’s look as well. But move over checks, today is all about the cozy, ribbed deliciousness that is corduroy which conjures up memories of my grandfather, pre-kindergarten story time and the Brady Bunch all in equal, confusing measure. After ghosting us for several years, velvet’s buttoned-up prudish cousin is back and bigger than ever, and I’m fully on board.
The classic corduroy blazer I’m wearing today is the perfect example of a super versatile staple piece that you’ll wear over and over (and over) again all season long. The suede elbow patches and leather buttons give the blazer a cool vintage, professorial vibe that I’m all about, and it’s easily dressed up for work with a pencil skirt or dressed down for Sunday brunch with straight-leg jeans and your favorite loafers.
And speaking of footwear, these leopard print pumps are old favorites, but it’s important to note that the leopard trend is YUUUUUGE this fall. While I won’t be dedicating an entire day to this favorite print during the series, it definitely deserves a major shout out!
Top of my wishlist are these Marc Jacobs corduroy trousers (Santa? Are you there? Is it too soon?), but coats, blazers (in vibrant surprising hues no less!), pants, even dresses are repping the ridged delight at virtually every retailer under the sun, and in classic vintage style, autumnal colors reign supreme. It’s safe to say that jackets and trousers are the season’s obvious go-to’s when it comes to corduroy, but if you’re looking to ease into things, try a corduroy accessory like this cute ball cap!
In the sea of bright colors and statement dressing, corduroy is one classic, soothing influence this season. So whether you’re a comfy corduroy jeans kind of gal or want to make a statement with a head-to-toe ensemble, there’s a cord for every situation…
WEAR TO WORK
- This season, trade in your corporate uniform for tailored corduroy jackets, blazers and pants. Pro tip: it’s best to stick with defined silhouettes.
- Check out this classic blazer that’s as timeless as it is affordable and I simply. must. have. it. If you’ve glommed onto this season’s yellow trend, then this double-breasted beauty from Banana is also not one to miss.
- Totally in love with this wide-leg trouser, which I think is worth the investment but here’s a similar option at a quarter of the price for all of my ballers on a budget!
- I’m pretty much dying over this dress and this dress, but I’m also really digging this beauty coming in under $200.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- You can never go wrong with a classic corduroy jacket and this blush beauty or this cream version (which is under $100!) paired with jeans makes for the perfect fall Saturday ensemble.
- How cool are these front-zip trousers?!
- I love the bright huge and adorable back detailing of this peplum top. Who knew corduroy could be so festive?
- Next stop: moto zip skirt. This bad boy is perfect for layering with tights once the temperature drops.
- I will be wearing this corduroy baseball cap all weekend, every weekend. No bad hair days this fall.
- Last but certainly not least, I’m weirdly into this faux shearling studded corduroy jacket. Thoughts?