conservative office style Aug 3, 2017

Top 10 Workwear Essentials

SHEATH DRESS: Hugo Boss  |  SUIT JACKET: Hugo Boss  |  CLASSIC PUMPS: Jimmy Choo  |  TOTE: Lo & Sons (similar HERE)  |  NECKLACE: A. Jaffe  |  GOLD HOOP EARRINGS: Bony Levy

I always get tons of questions on how best to create that capsule collection of workwear staples, so today, I’m sharing an updated version of my Workwear Wardrobe Essentials.  Whether you’re a recent graduate new to the workforce, interviewing for a new job, or eager to up your style game at the office to land (or keep!) a recent promotion, these are the staple items every working girl should have in her closet…

workwear wardrobe essentials featuring a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress and suit jacket with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps and gold hoop earringsfashion blogger walking through tribeca in a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress and suit jacket with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps and gold hoop earrings

TOP 10 WORKWEAR ESSENTIALS:

1.  This classic suit (currently on sale!!) has mix-and-match pieces, so you can wear the pants, pencil skirt and sheath dress interchangeably with the same suit jacket (major bang for your buck!). I also love the options by Theory and J. Crew.

2.  This non-iron button front shirt is the absolute best in the game.

3.  A timeless navy blazer in a super flattering cut is a great way to make separates (or even jeans!) suddenly profesh.

4.  A cozy longline cardigan can be layered over anything and is a great staple to keep at your desk for chilly days in the office.

5.  These classic pumps are my absolute favorite! (Lower heel option here).

6.  Pointed-toe flats look perfect with pants, skirts, anything! Great affordable options here and here.

7.   Simple gold knot or pearl earrings are classics that will go with any professional ensemble.

8.  This classic trench will never go out of style and is the perfect topper spring, summer or fall.  My mom has had her Burberry trench for 20 years and it still looks like new! I also love this affordable alternative here.

9.  Sleek and simple, this tote bag has all the necessary pockets including one for your laptop!

10.  A sleek black wool coat is the most polished outerwear for cold weather.  Additional affordable option here!

close up shot of fashion blogger wearing a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress and suit jacket with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps a black tote bag and gold hoop earringsworkwear wardrobe essentials featuring a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress and suit jacket with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps a black tote bag and gold hoop earrings

The burgundy Hugo Boss suit that I’m wearing today is one of my all-time favorites, and is currently on MAJOR SALE.  Boss makes some of the best suiting in the game, and it’s very rarely at this price point, so if you’re in the market for a suit now or in the near future, run don’t walk.

fashion blogger wearing a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps and gold hoop earrings holding hugo boss suit jacket

In terms of other suits I recommend, of course, when you start making the big bucks you can invest in higher-end workwear like this Max Mara suit, this pinstripe Jason Wu suit, or this St. John suit.  However, if we’re talking working girl “starter” wardrobe, Theory’s suiting is a much more reasonable price point, is great quality, wears like iron and comes in classic, timeless cuts.  As mentioned above, I also really like the quality suiting options at J. Crew for that basic, staple starter suit that every working girl should own.

fashion blogger walking wearing a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps a black tote bag and gold hoop earrings holding hugo boss suit jacket

For those of you who work in creative or casual environments that don’t have to wear something this business formal everyday, I still highly recommend having at least one classic dark suit in your closet.  You never know when you may suddenly get tapped to make a client presentation, attend a more formal conference, or be brought to a higher-level meeting.  You want to be armed and ready for those unexpected moments!

New York fashion blogger wearing a burgundy red hugo boss suit dress and suit jacket with black stiletto jimmy choo pumps and gold hoop earrings

SHEATH DRESS: Hugo Boss  |  SUIT JACKET: Hugo Boss  |  CLASSIC PUMPS: Jimmy Choo  |  TOTE: Lo & Sons (similar HERE)  |  NECKLACE: A. Jaffe  |  GOLD HOOP EARRINGS: Bony Levy

27 Responses to Top 10 Workwear Essentials

1. GlossyU says:

Just love the outfits. I’m reading your blog for quit some time and I find it very inspiring.
    These workwear wardrobe essentials are just perfect !

Thank you!

2. Ray says:

Thanks for sharing. I could I not have known there’s a non-iron white shirt?

3. I’m a firm believer that every working wardrobe should include Theory blouses and a Burberry trench! x

chevrons & éclairs – http://bit.ly/2uYTUXk

4. Rach says:

These are great workwear essential! That dress is perfect for a big meeting!

5. Emily Denise says:

You’ve covered all of the necessities and selected such timeless pieces! Such a helpful post, Mary!

XO, Emily
    Epicurean Emily

6. Lauren says:

You always look so chic and professional but stylish at the same time x

I love the interesting seams on the sheath dress, and what a great color. For alternatives, you can’t go wrong with St. John, even if you do have to bust open the piggy bank for it.

Always looking so classy and like million bucks!! Fantastic, minimalistic outfit!

9. Jenny says:

Such a gorgeous outlook!
    Love your dress! The color is amazing.
    It looks really elegant! xx

10. You look so good. Love the classy outfits.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on my latest post about how to become a minimalist.
    Visit >> http://lavendercitrus.wordpress.com

11. Lynna says:

Love your workwear outfit<3
    It looks super fashionable! xx

12. These are great pieces! I would even suggest purchasing a few statement pieces (necklaces, bags, scarfs) just to add some boldness to the looks!

13. Debra Lawson says:

What polished, professional styles! I love them. I’m an early retiree (63 yrs old) who still works on a PT temporary basis – and who truly appreciates these recommendations. It’s great to know that this kind of class and polish still matters! Thanks for the post!

14. margaret says:

Such a professional look. Those choices can go anywhere day or evening.

15. Esther says:

Your workwear suit is beautiful. I love it for the fact that is very classy chic and not BLACK.
    Burgundy is fabulous. I need to check Hugo Boss.
    Thank you for the fantastic inspiration.

Love, Esther

16. Antonia says:

i love all the pieces in this outfit – i’m glad to see burgundy being used again. it hasn’t been a staple of business attire for a while. its beautiful and it looks great on you. lovely

17. What a great post! Very useful! I totally agree with
    your 10 workwear essentials.
    You look very elegant!
    Regards from Spain

Angélica

18. Love the post! I had just done a workwear post myself and found yours 🙂 Great research and beautiful photos!

19. Anij says:

I don’t care for black and was getting tired of navy blue and brown. This year I filled my closet with burgundy/wine, olive, blue-gray and tan. They’re a perfect combination, look great with my hair and skin tone and getting more compliments than ever!

20. Serena says:

This outfit is absolutely gorgeous. This is how I wish I could dress everyday for work. x

21. Gorgeous! Love the outfit.

22. reshoo says:

You look so good. Love the classy outfits.