I always get tons of questions on how best to create that capsule collection of workwear staples, so today, I’m sharing an updated version of my Workwear Wardrobe Essentials. Whether you’re a recent graduate new to the workforce, interviewing for a new job, or eager to up your style game at the office to land (or keep!) a recent promotion, these are the staple items every working girl should have in her closet…
TOP 10 WORKWEAR ESSENTIALS:
1. This classic suit (currently on sale!!) has mix-and-match pieces, so you can wear the pants, pencil skirt and sheath dress interchangeably with the same suit jacket (major bang for your buck!). I also love the options by Theory and J. Crew.
3. A timeless navy blazer in a super flattering cut is a great way to make separates (or even jeans!) suddenly profesh.
4. A cozy longline cardigan can be layered over anything and is a great staple to keep at your desk for chilly days in the office.
8. This classic trench will never go out of style and is the perfect topper spring, summer or fall. My mom has had her Burberry trench for 20 years and it still looks like new! I also love this affordable alternative here.
9. Sleek and simple, this tote bag has all the necessary pockets including one for your laptop!
The burgundy Hugo Boss suit that I’m wearing today is one of my all-time favorites, and is currently on MAJOR SALE. Boss makes some of the best suiting in the game, and it’s very rarely at this price point, so if you’re in the market for a suit now or in the near future, run don’t walk.
In terms of other suits I recommend, of course, when you start making the big bucks you can invest in higher-end workwear like this Max Mara suit, this pinstripe Jason Wu suit, or this St. John suit. However, if we’re talking working girl “starter” wardrobe, Theory’s suiting is a much more reasonable price point, is great quality, wears like iron and comes in classic, timeless cuts. As mentioned above, I also really like the quality suiting options at J. Crew for that basic, staple starter suit that every working girl should own.
For those of you who work in creative or casual environments that don’t have to wear something this business formal everyday, I still highly recommend having at least one classic dark suit in your closet. You never know when you may suddenly get tapped to make a client presentation, attend a more formal conference, or be brought to a higher-level meeting. You want to be armed and ready for those unexpected moments!