In Trend Memo #4 last week we talked about all things pink, but there’s another bold color that has burst onto the scene this season—yellow! In fact, when it comes to this season’s “it” color, yellow is the only hue that’s vying with pink for the title. And, believe it or not, yellow might just might steal the show. Today, in the sixth installment of my Spring/Summer 2017 Trend Memo series, I’m talking all things yellow, two other great accessory trends you should know about, and how to incorporate it all into your wardrobe for work, play and beyond.
The yellow trend may have started on Spring and Summer runways, but it certainly gained a lot of steam with the help of Emma Stone’s striking yellow dress in La La Land and, more recently, the iconic yellow Belle dress Emma Watson donned in Beauty and the Beast. There’s no question that yellow is in it to win it this season… and, I’m thinking, perhaps so is the name Emma?
While some feel that yellow isn’t flattering to all skin tones, the color is manifesting itself in everything from the lightest butter yellows to the richest goldenrod hues, ensuring that there’s something out there for everyone. At the bottom of this post I’ve included a collection of my very favorite yellow pieces, and some of my favorites are actually the accessories! Beautiful mustard yellow bags, citrusy sandals, goldenrod earrings… they’re the perfect way to add a touch of yellow to your look without going full Pikachu.
This yellow eyelet midi dress that I’m wearing today is an absolute dream. The cut, the length, the fitted bodice and flared skirt… what’s not to like? It comes in white and navy (stunners!) and is one of the many wonderful J. Crew creations that comes in Petite and Tall sizing. Victory is ours!
In addition to my yellow frock today, I’ve incorporated two major accessory trends into my outfit that are making serious waves this season: statement earrings, especially of the fringed/tasseled variety, and metallics, especially when it comes to footwear. In addition to the earrings I’m wearing today, I also bought these ones (also on sale right now!) which are SO stunning in person. I can’t wait to wear them. And as for these sandals, I couldn’t BELIEVE the fit and comfort level. Serious bang for your buck on those babies.
Also worth noting in today’s look are the pops of cherry red with my earrings, clutch and lip color. If you’re unsure about wearing yellow and how it might play with your skin tone, this is a fantastic trick to employ. Yellow looks amazing with shades of red and pink, so incorporating those accent colors into your accessories—especially in earrings that bookend your face—will remove any chance of looking jaundiced. And, the extra pops of color play into the resurgence of bold colors we’re seeing across the board. When it comes to color this season, the more the merrier!
WEAR TO WORK
- This short sleeve sweater is the perfect sunny addition to your work wardrobe, and the knit will also help keep you warm in the air conditioning.
- This yellow sheath is perfect for a day at the office.
- You may remember this dress from this post last spring where I’m wearing it in red. I absolutely love that pale butter yellow hue—it’s the perfect casual Friday dress!
- You’ve also seen me wear this dress in blush (post here). It’s super simple, super sleek and unbelievably comfy. I’d advise going up a size if you plan on wearing it to the office as it is form-fitting.
- Remember, you can always incorporate the yellow trend into your everyday with bags, shoes and accessories. I absolutely love this tote.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- How stunning is this dress?!
- If this gorgeous top doesn’t scream summer and sunshine, then I don’t know what does.
- I have this bikini in white, and am now thinking the yellow might need to make it into my collection as well. Just can’t get enough of that scallop detailing!
- In case you missed Friday’s post, one-shoulder necklines are in it to win it this season and this dress is screaming my name. It’s on the shortlist for upcoming summer weddings!
- These earrings can amp up even the most basic look. They come in a bunch of gorgeous colors, but I love that goldenrod yellow!
MY FAVORITE YELLOW PIECES OF THE SEASON