It’s day two of my spring trend memo series, and today I’m giving you the low-down on all of the crazy necklines and unconventional shirting you’ve probably been spotting everywhere online. Keep reading for all of the details on this huge warm-weather trend, how to wear it to work and play, and where to shop the best pieces of the season…
What started last year as a widespread obsession with anything and everything off-the-shoulder has now evolved into a full-on assault of the neckline. Designers everywhere have been throwing caution to the wind, taking a scissors to the “normal” necklines you thought you knew. The days of classifying garments as v-neck, crewneck, boatneck, and the like are officially gone, leaving loads of completely fresh styles in their wake.
Often going hand-in-hand with these re-defined necklines has been the deconstruction of classic shirting and while no one has a more deep-seated reverence for a classic button up than yours truly, I couldn’t be more excited for these new creations. With cuffs, collars and buttons re-arranged Mr. Potato Head-style, many of these pieces look like they belong in the Cubism collection at the Met—a statement this art history lover means as the highest possible compliment.
My top today is a perfect example of this whacky-necked riff on shirting. In a classic menswear shirting stripe with wide cuffs and a winding trail of buttons, the top strikes that perfect classic-meets-cutting edge chord. Is it off-the-shoulder? Is it a one-shoulder top? Is it both? Am I the lone survivor of a plane crash which ripped off my shirt’s entire right shoulder and took a perfectly-proportioned smaller bite out of my left? No one has to know.
The great thing about this trend is that you can have one of those days where you wake up an hour late and show up to the office with your shirt buttons mismatched leaving your top all wonky, and everyone will just think you’re being #trendy. Major win for those of us who have complicated relationships with the snooze button.
WEAR TO WORK
- Just when you think there’s no way to pull this trend into your work wardrobe, think again. This gorgeous periwinkle sheath dress shows how a little creative thinking around the neckline results in an uber chic office get-up that’s on trend to boot.
- Similarly, this classic asymmetrical-necklined dress plays right into the trend without skipping a beat in the boardroom. With that elbow-length sleeve, this beauty works any time of year.
- This blouse has the coolest wrap neckline and will be a fresh addition to your arsenal of summer work tops in (spoiler alert!) one of spring’s hottest hues.
- The crisp oxford shirting and chic asymmetric stand-away collar makes this top as work appropriate as it is trendy. Needless to say, it’s in my shopping cart.
- When it comes to funky skin-bearing necklines, don’t forget that blazers (or cardigans!) can be your BFFs during the workday. Throw a blazer over this top or this top during the day and once you hit happy hour with friends you’ll already have the perfect going out top ready underneath.
BRB, OUT OF OFFICE
- If you’re looking for an insanely cute affordable alternative to the Self Portrait top I’m wearing today look no further than this beauty. Hands down my favorite of the bunch.
- This short-sleeve shirt may have a regular crew neckline, but the slash-through detached sleeves play right into the deconstructed trend. Absolutely obsessed.
- Are you kidding me with this seersucker dress? I’m dead.
- Can’t get enough of the slouchy sleeves and cuffed neckline of this top.
- Love the color-blocking of this classic striped shirt. Wear it buttoned up like normal during the workweek and then undo some buttons and let one side fall off the shoulder with white shorts on the weekend.
MY FAVORITE RE-DEFINED NECKLINES FOR SPRING AND SUMMER