Evergreen Mar 16, 2016

Six Tips on How To Plan Your Honeymoon

tips on how to plan a honeymoon

You have a full-time job, you’re planning a wedding (which, let’s face it, is another full-time job) and now you have to start thinking about the HONEYMOON!  This post-nuptial trip should be something super exciting to plan, but if you’re as overwhelmed with work and wedding to-do’s as I was in the months leading up to the wedding, it might be a black hole of stress.  Rich and I got engaged and married in an eight month time-span, and despite repeated calls to Jennifer Lopez to come offer a little wedding planning help, she never showed.  Every time someone asked me about our honeymoon plans in the months leading up to the wedding, I basically wanted to light myself on fire.

Luckily, I did not.  With a lot of help from my hubby-to-be, we managed to pull off an unforgettable trip. Now with the process in the rearview mirror, I wanted to share my top tips on how to plan a honeymoon, in hopes that it will help streamline the process for those of you going through it!  In six simple tips, here’s everything you need to know to plan the perfect honeymoon…

ultimate guide to planning your honeymoon

#1:  Give Him the Reigns

In most cases, the bride shoulders 99% of the wedding planning workload.  This was certainly true in my case, but it wasn’t because Rich wasn’t more than willing to pitch in.  It was mostly because his decision-making abilities in the flower and cake design departments are sliiiightly more limited than mine.  To help ease the burden, I passed off most of the honeymoon planning and logistics to him, which had the added benefit of making the trip more of a surprise!

#2:  Decide When You Want To Go

Rich and I wanted to do the traditional post-wedding honeymoon, but didn’t want to feel too rushed, so we chose to leave for the trip two days after our wedding day.  This was the best decision for us, because we felt that leaving for the trip the very next day would leave no time to digest our special day, and even less time to properly pack and get ready for the big trip.  Increasingly, couples are taking their honeymoon weeks or even months after their wedding day.  And for lots of couples, this is a great option so they have a bit more time to get prepped for traveling and make the most out of the trip.  Whatever you decide, keep timing in mind and try to give yourself as much breathing room as possible!

#3:  Determine the Type of Trip You Want

This one seems obvious, but there are a couple of unique factors at play.  You of course want to start by considering whether the two of you are history buffs, beach bums, or adventure seekers.  But before fully answering that question, remember that you will have just gotten married, and if you’re honeymooning immediately afterwards, there’s a high likelihood that you will be more physically and emotionally exhausted than ever before.  With this in mind, Rich and I split our trip into two parts: beach relaxation to start so we could recharge our batteries before heading to a safari adventure at the end!

#4:  Solidify A Budget

Nothing is worse than spending time falling in love with your dream honeymoon destination, just to find out that it’s totally unrealistic budget-wise.  It can throw a major wet blanket on the excitement of the rest of the planning process, so set a budget ahead of time and don’t look at destinations until you know they fall within that budget.  This not only goes for the cost of resort/hotel accommodations, but be sure to check flight prices at the outset as well.

#5:  Pay Special Attention to Time of Year

In the early stages of planning, we made the mistake of wasting time thinking about several destinations on our bucket list, just to find out later that they weren’t an option because of weather patterns.  We didn’t realize those idyllic bungalows in the Maldives are in the throws of the rainy season at the end of August when we were going to be honeymooning.  Once you’ve narrowed down your search to general parts of the world, be sure to research weather patterns before diving into location specifics.

#6:  Think Strategically about Time and Location

Rich and I spent our honeymoon in the Seychelles and South Africa.  We chose those places because we wanted to honeymoon in a location that neither of us had been before so we could discover the destination for the first time together.  Additionally, since we currently live in San Francisco, that part of the world is one of the hardest to get to from here.  We’ll likely not have three weeks off for a long time, so we wanted to take advantage of the extra time away by going to places off our beaten path.  However, this meant an enormous amount of travel time (well more than 24 hours both getting there and coming back). If you only have a week, limit your search to places that are quicker to get to so you can maximize your vacation time.

guide to planning your honeymoon

Did I miss anything?  Let me know in the comments below if you have any additional nuggets of wisdom!  I’ve gotten tons of requests to post more specifically on our experiences in both the Seychelles and South Africa, so I’ll be sharing travel and packing tips for both places in the weeks to come!

16 Responses to Six Tips on How To Plan Your Honeymoon

1. Cristina says:

Thanks for the tips! I’m going to plan my honeymoon soon. We are getting married next year and we want to go to Australia and New Zealand 🙂

2. Karen says:

Wow! Thanks so much for all the extremely helpful tips. I am getting married this summer and have been stressing about the honeymoon planning! love your blog!

3. Thuy says:

Great post. Real tips. I like that you deferred the planning to your hub – I wonder if my hub coul do that. I wonder if I could even defer it to my hub lmao.

Best tip was relaxing after wedding then the adventure at the end. Genius.

My husband and I got married on a Friday and returned to work Monday. Then a year later we took a belated honeymoon trip to the mountains of Wyoming. Don’t regret it for a minute.

5. Marci says:

Hi – great tips! Was wondering where the dress is from that you wore in your Instagram post on this topic? Love it. Thanks!

6. Marci says:

Thanks!!

7. Meagan says:

I turned over the entire trip to Hubby, which was great because he didn’t care too much about flowers, colors, or bridesmaid dresses! Hubby and I got married Sunday morning and we left for our honeymoon Sunday evening. We had to maximize our time, so leaving as soon as possible was ideal for us.
    -Meg

8. Fina says:

Where did you stay in South Africa?

9. Kate says:

Interested to hear your recommendations on the Seychelles! Headed there on my own honeymoon in December. Accommodations/length/activities/packing list… anything!

Love the blog!

10. Abbi says:

My sweetheart and I only had a few days right after our I do’s, so we stayed two nights at a hotel close to where we got married and spent our time playing “tourist,” visiting our favorite restaurants and local attractions. We live in a resort town in South Carolina so there are lots of beautiful low country places and shops that most locals don’t have time to vsist. We are planning a longer trip now, (two years into being married) but that was the sweetest weekend we’ve ever had. Love your blog! Thank you for sharing!

11. I’m very happy to uncover this great site. I need to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely liked every part of it and i also have you book marked to look at new information in your web site.

12. LucasScott says:

I had my honeymoon in Bali and I want to share with you my tips. First of all decide with your budget – if you have a small budget better to plan honeymoon by ownself without helping travel agents. If you have a good budget and want to not worry about your holiday, just relax and enjoy i recommend to choose professional travel agent. In my honeymoon I had a modified itinerary from two packages http://7.holiday/bali-honeymoon-packages I joined Gili Holidays with Ubud inspiration. At first I was planning by myself, but after these guys offered me a good price and conditions. My point is – the budget is the main part of your planning. If I had had more money I would have spent my honeymoon in California))))

13. Keely says:

Love following your blog and Instagram! We are heading to South Africa this year for our honeymoon…Cape Town, Winelands, Safari and Mauritius for around 3 weeks..do you have a post about what you packed? Any good tips? Starting to think about it so I can hit up the #NSale, Ann Taylor sale etc going on now : )

14. Ella says:

Fantastic tips! Loved your honeymoon story! And so very true about honeymoons not being a ‘one-size-fits-all’. My hubby planned both our surprise sunrise beach wedding and our 5 week honeymoon – we flew out on the same day of our wedding. And now, more than a decade later we plan bespoke honeymoons for our clients – funny how things turn out!