conservative office style Feb 3, 2016

Floral Skirt, Choker Blouse

anthropologie-abstract-navy-red-poppy-maxi-midi-penci-skirt-bec-bridge-white-choker-blouse-sjp-collection-carrie-m2malletier-bag-work-style-memorandum-sf-fashion-blog1

A charity luncheon, bridal shower, baby shower or even high tea is the perfect occasion to be a bit more feminine, and I thought this floral a-line skirt paired with an ivory choker blouse fit the bill nicely for a dressy luncheon that I recently attended.  Since I’m not the girliest girl, the abstract floral print of the skirt was definitely more up my alley than its traditional counterparts, resulting in a slightly more modern spin on the feminine ensemble.  Of course, we’re making the important distinction between “feminine” and “girly” here.  You with me?

anthropologie-abstract-navy-red-poppy-maxi-midi-penci-skirt-bec-bridge-white-choker-blouse-sjp-collection-carrie-m2malletier-bag-work-style-memorandum-sf-fashion-blog8

I’m calling this top a “choker blouse,” because of the mock neck above the keyhole which creates a great choker effect without the moving parts.  The blouse was perfect for my luncheon, but is a little low-cut for the office, so I’d recommend pairing the skirt with something more like this blouse when wearing it to work.

anthropologie-abstract-navy-red-poppy-maxi-midi-penci-skirt-bec-bridge-white-choker-blouse-sjp-collection-carrie-m2malletier-bag-work-style-memorandum-sf-fashion-blog2

This top (and basically anything even tangentially involving chokers) is one of my favorite styles of the season.  I can’t wait to rewear it with high-waisted jeans and mini skirts (how dope is this one) for dinner or drinks where I will obviously only allow people to refer to me as “Gigi” (read: We Wore Basically The Same Shirt In The Same Week And Now We’re Besties).  I believe the exact blouse I’m wearing is almost sold out, so I’ve linked more blouses below that have a similar vibe all of which come with explicit permission to take on supermodel aliases free of charge.

anthropologie-abstract-navy-red-poppy-maxi-midi-penci-skirt-bec-bridge-white-choker-blouse-sjp-collection-carrie-m2malletier-bag-work-style-memorandum-sf-fashion-blog4

SKIRT: HD in Paris  |  BLOUSE: Bec & Bridge (similar HERE, HERE & HERE)  |  SHOES: SJP Collection  |  BAG: M2Malletier  |  SUNGLASSES: Miu Miu c/o DITTO  |  LIP: Giorgio Armani (400)

Favorite Ivory Blouses:

18 Responses to Floral Skirt, Choker Blouse

Wonderful outfit, so beautifully styled, elegant and feminine!

2. Christina says:

What a fun skirt! Perfect for work, and play!

Christina :: Simple and Delish

At first I was thinking “oh, Mary, too much skin showing for the office,” but then you saved it with your comment to that exact sentiment. Good save 🙂 Very feminine and I might add garden party to you list of appropriate venues.

4. This outfit is very lovely!! Don’t you think you could wear a cami under the blouse to make it fine for the office? jodie
    ps..I keep forgetting to mention—your haircut looks fabulous!

5. Beautiful outfit! I’m loving that floral skirt.

6. Marina says:

Very elegant and glamorous outfit! Love the hair style.

7. sahra says:

gorgeous!!! I love that the neck isn’t TOO overpowering and is still appropriate enough for work!

XO Sahra
    Que Sera Sahra I a travel & style blog

8. alice says:

Such a gorgeous look, the floral artwork on that skirt is beautiful!

xo, Alice || a l i c e / T Y P E N U

9. Maggie says:

This is seriously stunning. I love every piece of this!

10. Kara says:

Hi Mary!

I love your blog! I really enjoy reading and look forward to seeing all of your styles whether for work or in a casual setting. I LOVE your hair!!! 🙂 Can you please give us details about your new haircut, color, how you style it, and any products you use?

11. Love the clean white shirt with the polished long skirt. This outfit could definitely be worn for a professional job or dinner out. Love it Mary!

12. jenn says:

love the new hair – modern!

13. winter says:

I like your choice of blouse with the skirt. You wore it best compared to the model shown on the Anthropologie web site. The look is conservative but with a chic-sexy twist. I like the style of hair for the pic, it gives it that chic-sexy twist.

14. Thuy says:

Love the top. I totally get you on the different between feminine and girly and I want to look feminine myself but I wouldn’t consider myself really girly.