conservative office style Jan 4, 2016

Belted Cape

camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-fashion-blog 1

I know people worry that capes and ponchos make them look like shapeless blobs, which is why today I’m showcasing one of my favorite tricks to allay said fears of blobdom.  I belted the front sections of this new favorite cape which accentuates the waist, and allowed the back to fall without restriction.  By belting just the front, there’s a great contrasting silhouette created—further highlighting the waistline—and also minimizing the amount of bulk under the belt which makes the look très confortable.  Depending on the thickness of the cape and the overall outfit, I’ve also often belted both the front and back of capes in the past, so just to be clear, I’m an equal-opportunity cape belter.

camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-fashion7camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-sf-style-blog10camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-fashion6camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-sf-style-blog8

You may not want to sport the cape all day if you’re headed to the office, so I’m wearing this long button front shirt underneath that looks great belted on its own as well.  Since only the front two pieces of the cape are belted, it’s super easy to just slip the pieces right out without adjusting the tightness of the belt.
camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-fashion5camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-blog11 camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-sf-style-blog9

I’ve become a bit of a hoarder of white shirts, one of my top workwear staples, but I have to say that this Theory number is one of my very best purchases of late.  It isn’t billed as a “non-iron” but absolutely is in practice.  It recently made it to Wisconsin and back in my suitcase without me having to break out the iron or steamer.  Plus, the long length looks great layered under chunky knits, as you can see I recently did here on instagram.

camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-fashion2 camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-memorandum-sf-style-blog12camel-black-plaid-fringe-cape-black-dress-pants-theory-long-shirt-clutch-bow-back-heels-mary-orton-sf-style-blog3

CAPE: c/o Sole Society  |  SHIRT: Theory  |  PANTS: J. Crew  |  BELT: old, very similar here, here and here  |  SHOES: c/o Sole Society  |  BAG: c/o Sole Society  |  SUNGLASSES: Miu Miu c/o Ditto

Last but certainly not least, these suede pumps are new favorites as well, and as indicated in the close-up photos above, they have darling bow detailing on the heels.  I look forward to showing off this little party in the back with skirts and cropped pants in the near future.  I also have to say that these shoes are honestly among the most comfortable  I’ve encountered of late—not a smidge of rubbing or stiffness from the get-go.  And, at this price point, that’s pretty darn good.

I hope you all had an amazing, restful New Years holiday!  Happy 2016!!

This post was produced in collaboration with Sole Society.

18 Responses to Belted Cape

1. pia says:

what a perfect way to layer for colder days!
    lunjasky.wordpress.com
    Lunjasky bloglovin

Super classy and chic outfit! I like your shoes and cape very much!

3. Mary Jo says:

Thanks for the tips on belting just the front. I was not sure how to do it. Is the belt on your pants or just around your waist?

4. Ahhhhh….such a good idea to just belt the front portion. Totally wouldn’t have thought of that—I’ve belted the entire thing, but didn’t even consider your way! Thanks!! jodie

5. That cape is so chic! I’ve been a huge fan of the belted cape look for a while, and I tend to leave the back of the cape out of the belt, too. I love how you styled this look over a white shirt, and those heels are stunners.

6. Edye says:

That cape is so pretty! I love how you styled it 🙂

7. Prudence says:

Love how you belt the cape for a fitted silhouette, beautiful style!

Prudence

8. Anca says:

I love the idea! It looks so feminine!

9. Susan says:

The cape is really cheap looking–the pattern is stamped on the front, not woven UGH! Mary, this post is a shameless advertisement for the company you feature. The copy is not even your voice. I am a little sad.

Welp, the cape doesn’t look cheap at all in person! Also, the pattern is not stamped, it is, in fact, woven. It just has a solid backing attached. As for the copy, I’m not sure whose voice it could possibly be in since I wrote it alone on my couch the night before! As indicated in the post, I collaborated with Sole Society, but I make all of the product selections on my own, vet them before posting to ensure they are top notch, and then write and produce all content without anyone else’s input or approval. Regardless of brand collaborations, I only post content on the blog that is 100% genuine, and 100% my own. : )

• Cortney says:

What a weird comment. There’s nothing cheap about this look at all and the writing is in line with what Mary always writes. Sounds like Susan works for a competitor!

10. Marina says:

This is a fresh way to style black and white ensemble, a break from a classic blazer for a change. Belting it makes the whole difference in the world.

11. 40+ says:

I like the styling of your cape very much! I tried it in the back and front, but it didn’t look so amazing. So, I will retry with only the front. Thank you for this tipp!
    Andrea

12. sarah says:

I love the tips! Chic outfit 🙂

13. Crystal says:

Many thanks for sharing this first-class post. Very inspiring!

14. Pingback: Blanket Scarves: Perfect Answer to “Sexist Thermostats”?