Holiday Style Dec 14, 2015

A Holiday Evening

black lace off the shoulder midi dresssan francisco symphony hallblack lace off the shoulder dress burgundy glitter minaudiere clutchits a wonderful life symphonyfashion blogger at symphony

Rich’s birthday is next weekend, and we’re hosting a Christmas/birthday party at our home.  But, with his December 19th birthday so close to Christmas, he always gets a little shafted, so I surprised him on Saturday night with a pre-birthday celebration for just the two of us.  We had a cozy, delicious dinner at Sutro’s at The Cliff House and then headed to the San Francisco Symphony where they were showing Rich’s favorite holiday movie, It’s a Wonderful Life, accompanied by a live performance of the score.  It was an incredible evening!

black lace off the shoulder knee length dress sheer tights burgundy glitter pumps

I honestly can’t recommend this off-the-shoulder black lace dress highly enough.  It is exceptionally well-made and unbelievably comfortable.  There’s a touch of elastic added to the back of the straps, which makes the sometimes-uncomfortable off-the-shoulder neckline a non-issue (…well that turned out to be a dashing sentence, didn’t it?).  With a silhouette reminiscent of the 50s, it was the perfect dress for viewing the classic post-war film, and oh by the way, it has POCKETS.  Does it get any better?

burgundy glitter pumps sheer tightsblack lace off the shoulder dress gold choker and deep lipsback of burgundy glitter pumpsburgundy glitter holiday accessories

If you’re still on the hunt for something to wear to an office holiday party that’s on the formal side, this little black dress is a fantastic option with great versatility.  It could be worn literally any time of year, but to make it a tad more festive for the holidays, I paired it with burgundy glitter heels and a coordinating minaudière. I’m generally not a huge glitter girl (except, obviously, when it comes to Mariah Carey’s 2001 cinematic masterpiece…), but the deep burgundy hue and more subdued sparkle of these accessories hit just the right festive tone without making me feel like a disco ball.  I look forward to wearing these pumps again to casual holiday parties as well—paired with distressed denim and chunky knits.

fashion blogger black knee length dress fur cowl neck pulloverfur cowl neck pullover burgundy glitter pumps minaudiere clutch

It was a particularly mild evening in San Francisco, so this uber-soft fur pullover was the perfect topper.  With a wide cowl-neck and oversized, arm holes, it easily pulled on and off, comfortably averting any hair or make-up interference.  They thought of everything with this guy.

black knee length dress fur cowl neck pullover burgundy glitter accessoriesfashion blogger in holiday outfit going to symphonyfur cowl neck pullover burgundy glitter pumps and matching minaudiereblack lace midi dress fur cowl neck pulloever and tights

DRESS: c/o White House Black Market  |  PUMPS:  c/o White House Black Market  |  FUR PULLOVER: c/o White House Black Market  |  CLUTCH: c/o White House Black Market  |  CHOKER: old, very similar here  |  SHEER TIGHTS: DKNY  |  LIP: MAC

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

This post was produced in collaboration with White House Black Market.

22 Responses to A Holiday Evening

1. Christina says:

What a beautiful outfit!!

Christina :: Simple and Delish

2. Laura says:

Ah Birthday twins! I agree, close to Christmas day does suck sometimes, and occasionally I think about instead having fake birthday in July… but then December magic would be spoiled for me. Spread the cheer throughout the month! 🙂

3. Jessica says:

This is such a gorgeous dress! I love the bodice details!

-Jessica
    http://www.wearitforless.com – join me today for a link-up party!

4. Brenda says:

Gorgeous outfit – you look fantastic, and what an absolutely lovely and fun evening!

5. Gorgeous, Mary! That dress is stunning and I love the fur pullover.

Aw, those poor late December birthday babies. They do get the short end of the stick, don’t they? I bet Rich really appreciated your gift to him.

Love this dress, especially the two tier hemline and matching neck line. And the faux fur cape looks perfect for a cool but not freezing evening. Once again, such a classy outfit for a special evening.

Breathtakingly beautiful and sophisticated outfit!

8. Paola says:

You look amazing, happy birthday to Richard

9. Poshnessary says:

Beautiful dress!!!

Kisses from http://poshnessary.com

10. Cathie says:

What a great outfit for a symphony concert. You can’t go wrong with a LBD (Little Black Dress).

11. Mai says:

Wow! You look gorgeous!! Love the dress!

XX, Maikshine

12. Marina says:

Beautiful evening look. I had my eye on that fur pullover for awhile now, it’s such a chic way to update a winter wardrobe. I think it will work equally well with jeans.

13. Melanie says:

How do you keep your pumps in such pristine shape? Regardless of my efforts, the heel on my pumps always get scuffed or lose shape. I would appreciate your advice!

This was the first time I’d worn these pumps, so they look extra fresh in photos. In the past, when my heels get roughed up, I’ve taken them to a cobbler to get repaired. : )

14. Nancy says:

Hi Mary, I LOVE your site–thank you so much for the continued inspiration. I was wondering, what size is the pullover? (WHBM only has a S/M available, and I was wondering if they ever made an XS/S or if it sold out already). Thanks!

15. jennifer says:

Gorgeous look!Adorable look…love your outfits .
    love your top perfactly suits upon you! i have also prefer off-the-shoulder
    black lace dress!

16. Laura says:

Just found this at whbm for $79. Now I’m obsessed with it!