casual office style Feb 5, 2015

The Iconic Wrap Dress

fashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wearfashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wearfashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wearfashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wear fashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wearfashion blog for professional women new york city street style work wearDRESS: Diane von Furstenberg (also here and affordable options here, here, here, here, here & here!) |  COAT: Ted Baker  |  SHOES: SJP Collection  |  EARRINGS: Argento Vivo  |  POLISH: Essie (Vanity Fairest)

Beyond its status as an icon of pop culture, the wrap dress by Diane von Furstenberg possesses a sociological significance of considerable proportion.  The dress serves as a symbol of feminism and is credited with launching a liberating style movement worldwide upon its introduction in 1974.  For more than forty years, the dress has retained prominence in women’s closets as a timeless wardrobe staple… and forty years is a lot of years.

The dress has been worn by first ladies, future queens, famous musicians and film stars. You name the past, present and/or future occasion, and this puppy will be there, bringing the heat.  Wear it to work?  Obviously.  Wear to drinks?  100%.  Wear it to church?  Done.  Wear it in 20 years on a teleportation trip to New Guinea?  I’m so glad you asked.  Because if we’re not teleporting by the year 2035 I’m going to lose it.

So help me God, I’m going to teleport and I’m going to do it in a DVF wrap dress.

Bottom line: If you don’t own one, shame on you.

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom.  All product selections, styling and opinions are my own.

27 Responses to The Iconic Wrap Dress

1. Caitlin says:

Love the wrap dress! Such a pretty print 🙂 and it looks amazing with that red trench!
    Xo, Caitlin

2. Cara says:

Mary, love a good wrap dress like all other women. Been a follower of yours ever since you started. But the “shame on you” part, even in humor hit me hard because I cannot afford what you can and its humiliating to feel incomplete. I love your sense of style, classiness but I feel turned off by your sense of humor that to some are very real scenarios. You showcase a new item each day but to most of us normal working women, we cannot afford that, please reconsider offering style for those who cannot afford the money, if not no worries. Keep up the great work. Sincerely…

I’m so sorry it made you feel that way! Of course, I was entirely kidding. In reality, not having a DVF wrap dress is certainly nothing to be ashamed of ; ) I’ve included several similar (very affordable!) options above, so check them out! In general, I always try to find cost-conscious alternatives for things that are a bit more pricey. I hope that helps! XO

3. I love the DVF wrap!!! So perfect for work and everything in between. Except I am busty with no hips, so I have to get it in a very large size to avoid having to wear a camisole underneath and it’s a too wide at the bottom…I don’t care though because I love em so much!

Jill
    Latest Post: Shadow Play and Valentines Day – Hot in Coral

4. Gotta love the classic wrap dress. Hahaha at your “So help me God, I’m going to teleport and I’m going to do it in a DVF wrap dress”. Love it. <3

5. I do love them, but sometimes I get annoyed by the ties…I feel they add bulk or won’t tie correctly! I actually sewed one shut and cut off the ties once (is that cheating?). Yours, of course, looks fabulous! Maybe I should opt for a print the next time so you don’t really see the ties! Just call me “tied in knots”…haha
    Jodie

DVF definitely knows how to make a perfect wrap dress, there’s no doubt,
    then put such dress on a beautiful woman like you and you’ve got a winning combo! 🙂

7. Love the DVF wrap dress! It looks stunning on you and I love it paired with that bold red coat. The wrap dress is such a staple and you really can where it everywhere.

8. One day I’m going to own a DVF wrap dress. They’re so pretty and so flattering!

9. Okay, I love the idea of wrap dresses, but they come open when I sit down! Maybe a high-end one like DVF doesn’t do that, but what about those of us with smaller budgets?

10. Kate says:

The dress didn’t attract me when I saw it on the model and some bloggers. But you did! You looked perfectly beautiful and elegant. Totally in love with the coat for its cut and vibrant color. It’s sold out! Is this the Mary effect?

11. Erika W. says:

I love the DVF Wrap Dress and that coat!

12. Diana says:

Such an iconic dress. You look lovely.
    || D I A N A ||

13. Jamie says:

Those shoes are so beautiful and feminine! I love them! And congrats on the redesign!

xo,
    Jamie

14. Laura says:

I just bought my first DVF wrap dress late last year and couldn’t be happier! Love it!

Laura
    Surf & Hydrangeas

15. paradiesvogel says:

Being a female investment banker, I can’t honestly imagine showing up to the office in a jersey wrap dress. Sounds as inappropriate as putting on a bathrobe or a beach throw…

16. Paola says:

This is a great dress, I have a Max Mara wrap dress, even if it’s not a DVF dress I love it so much, I love the way you’ve styled this one Mary

Not that Mary needs defending, for she’s quite capable of doing that herself, but regulars to her blog know that she has often times paired a previously worn piece with something new. Shoes and jewelry are frequently re-worn. She recently posted an “Old Friends” item which showed things she’s worn in the past. And she doesn’t claim that every outfit will apply to every work place situation. She posts links not only to the specific item she’s wearing but oftentimes she has affordable alternative like the wrap dress under $100 in one of her links for this post. As for her humor, personally I love it that she can laugh at herself.

18. Elle C. says:

I love your DVF dress, love the T-strap heels — and I LOVE the new name!!! https://hideorgochic.wordpress.com

19. Pingback: Lately - Engineering In Style